Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2017

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Like most of his work, Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle contains a biting satirical view of modern society that revolves around science, technology, and religion.

The narrator, John or Jonah, talks about how he once set out to write a book and it appears that perhaps what the reader holds in his hand is the result. He tells the reader of his quest to speak with the creators of the atomic bomb and later his search for the newest and most devastating weapon ice-nine.

During his search he is led to the fictional Caribbean island of San Lorenzo, where the people use a nearly unintelligible language and follow a religion called Bokononism,
a strange mix of nihilism and cynical observations of God.

While previously I had enjoyed Slaughterhouse-Five, I found this novel more difficult to navigate. There are many scenes and ideas I enjoyed listening to, but I feel like I didn't get the whole of this book my first time through. I'll have to read this again in the future.

More by the Author:
Slaughterhouse-Five
Catch-22


Recommended Reads:
A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Fahrenheit 451 - Rad Bradbury
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment